Follow along with Chef James Martin cooking a delicious and hearty braised meatballs, paired with his gourmet Signature Syrah wine.
Braised Meatballs with Wet Mash Cider Sauce and Apples
Ingredients (serves 6)
500g Pork belly minced
150g Lardons or streaky bacon minced
3 Garlic cloves, grated
1 Large Onion, peeled and diced finely
1 Small bunch Thyme, chopped
1 Small bunch Parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp Chopped Sage
100g Fresh Breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper
300g Soaked Crepinette to wrap meat balls (optional)
300ml Chicken stock
1 heaped tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp Maple syrup
3 Large Baking Potatoes, pre-cooked and riced
100ml double cream
2 Apples, cut into matchsticks
Bunch Watercress (Optional)
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients together evenly and roll into six balls.
- Wrap in Crepinette and chill for 1 hour (optional).
- Pan fry until golden all over, then add the cider and stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs to one side, keep warm. Reduce the cooking liquid down by 1/2.
- Add a knob of butter, mustard and maple syrup, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, warm the mash with the butter and cream, season, spoon into serving bowls. Top with meatballs, spoon over sauce, sprinkle with apple matchsticks and a sprig of watercress if you like.
This recipe is the signature pairing dish with the James Martin Signature Chef Syrah gourmet Red wine. The dish is hearty & flavoursome which makes it perfect partner to the spiced dark fruit notes in the wine. This is the ideal foodie pairing for a special occasion.
James Martin, British Chef, author and TV presenter. His passion for food began during his trip to France with his father where he experienced the best food and wine in some wonderful French Chateaux. However, his cuisine is also inspired by his childhood memories in Yorkshire. For the renowned Chef, Food and Wine go hand in hand. Which is why he worked with French winemakers to create a wine collection that pairs perfectly with his British cuisine.
You can buy the James Martin Syrah wine here on Vinohero